We have issued our call for resolutions (PDF here) for 2020.
NOTICE FOR SUBMITTING RESOLUTIONS FOR THE 2020 AKBLG ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Deadline for submitting Resolutions is 4:00 pm February 1st, 2020
AKBLG Ordinary Resolutions:
- Resolutions are only accepted from AKBLG member local governments and must have been endorsed by the board or council.
- Resolutions must be relevant to other local governments within AKBLG rather than specific to a single member government.
- Each resolution may include a separate backgrounder that is a maximum of 3 pages and specific to a single resolution. The backgrounder may include links to other information sources and reports.
- Each resolution shall be prepared on a separate sheet of 8 1/2” by 11” paper with the name of the sponsoring member(s) and shall bear a short descriptive title.
- Each resolution must be submitted in both a word doc and a pdf.
- All resolutions, along with any supportive background information, shall be sent to the AKBLG office BY 4:00 pm your local business time FEBRUARY 1st, 2020.
- Resolutions are required to be received by email at email@example.com
- Receipt of emailed resolutions will be confirmed by return email.
- Hard copies may be forwarded to:
c/o 4979 Falcon Drive
Fairmont Hot Springs, BC V0B 1L1
If choosing to send hard copies by mail, be sure to send by registered mail and confirm receipt.
Resolution Preparation Assistance:
If you have any questions regarding resolution preparation please contact the AKBLG Resolutions Chair, Ange Qualizza at firstname.lastname@example.org
The AKBLG Resolutions committee will provide advice on proper resolution wording if requested.
UBCM Resolutions Continuum Diagram can be viewed here
UBCM Resolution Articles of Interest:
Staff and elected officials are strongly encouraged to follow the UBCM Writing Guidelines. A clear, concise resolution is easier to understand, and this increases the likelihood that the membership will grant it their endorsement. Further, clear resolutions will prompt more direct responses from the provincial or federal government, or relevant organization.
Submission of Resolutions to AKBLG:
Both UBCM and its member local governments have observed that submitting resolutions first to Area Associations results in better quality resolutions overall. UBCM encourages all members to submit resolutions first to Area Associations for consideration. Sponsors should be prepared to introduce their resolutions at the AKBLG Convention floor.
LATE AND SPECIAL RESOLUTIONS (from AKBLG Bylaws)
9.4 Resolutions received after the annual submission date and at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to the Annual General Meeting shall be categorized as:
a. A Late Resolution, which shall be held over until the next Annual General Meeting; or,
b. A Special Resolution, defined by the Resolutions Standing Committee as concerning a unique and unforeseen event or circumstance requiring time-sensitive attention and having occurred since the submission deadline.
9.5 A Special Resolution requires a two-thirds vote in support of consideration prior to being introduced onto the floor of the Annual General Meeting, and may only be introduced after all Ordinary Resolutions have been considered or if two-thirds of the Delegates present determine to hear the resolution immediately.
2020 Resolutions Package
Current AKBLG Resolutions
Past AKBLG Resolutions
Provincial responses to the resolutions from the 2019 UBCM Convention are now available. UBCM will follow up with letters to local governments that sponsored resolutions in 2019 to provide the relevant provincial responses to each resolution. Click Here
Resolutions that have been endorsed by the UBCM membership in the past will be noted and eventually have a response noted at UBCM's Resolutions and Responses webpage.